Saturday, May 9, 2009

An apple a day keeps the Dr. Away


Today was our big Apple day. Angie got a really good deal on Apples, so Angie, Sally and I decided to bottle apples. This is the start of our adventure. Nathanael and Ashly are hooking up the apple peelers and we're getting ready to start

Nathanael was a big help peeling the apples. Not sure what Ashly was thinking about. She told VerLynn later tonight that she didn't want to be like him because he was fat! Then she hit his belly and hit hers and she said they felt the same so maybe she was fat too!

You can tell this was still at the beginning of our adventure. You can tell for two reasons. The bucket we put all the apples in is not very full yet and Sally is smiling!

This is getting towards the end of our night. This is one counter full of jars. By the way, these apples make the best pie and apple crisp! YUM

This is the stove that worked more today than it has in all the time we have lived here! We also used my mom and dad's stove to cook all of the syrupy (is that a word?) stuff that makes it all taste so good. I would have put a picture of us at the end with our filthy clothes that had apple stuff all over them and the kids crying and our sore feet, but nobody would pose! It is now 11:00 p.m. and the last dozen jars are just about to come off the stove and then I'm off to the bathtub! Going to eat some apple crisp tomorrow.

5 comments:

  1. yum! I know that was a lot of work. I just did strawberry jam and know the mess that made. i have never done apples. You will have to share your recipe for doing that! Have a wonderful mothers Day

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'm going to need a week to recoop! 94 quarts of apples and two sore feet later...i'm pooped!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for showing us how to do this Angie, and Jill thanks for lettiing us use the your kitchen. I can't wait to eat an apple crisp today! Happy Mothers Day ya'll, I hope we can have a relaxing day today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Been There; Done That! Now if I want Appple Crisp...I hint to my visiting teachers...(Not really) but it does gripe me that this stupid arthritis keeps me from torturing myself canning EVERYTHING! Hope the men appreciate it..these are canned with true LOVE!

    ReplyDelete