Thursday, February 18, 2010

Nathanael's Poem

I'm not sure he would like me publishing this, but I just found a poem that Nathanael wrote for english and it brought me to tears.  I want to share it with you all.

My Name
There has never been a time
That I disliked this name of mine;
I's been  with me since my time of birth,
And I will keep it 'til I leave this Earth.

"Nathanael Clarke Dees" is how I'm known;
This name I've always been so proud to own.
"Nathanael" is for the apostle of old;
"Clarke" to honor a great-grandfather so bold.
But "Dees" is the name I'm most proud to wear;
That name with such honor, I gladly will bear.
The name's origin is Scottish at root;
My ancestors had traveled to this land and its fruit.
We have been in this land since the Revolutionary War;
My ancestors arrived several years before.
We have stayed here since to help this great nation be built;
And now I will be called upon to defend it though I may be killed.
The name we are given, but still we choose its representation;
For me I'll strive to become a defender of nations.
Though now I'm still just a lowly recruit,
My name I'll wear proudly like a suit.
Through honor, courage, virtue and dignity my name will show
That even the lowly among us have potential to glow. 

7 comments:

  1. That is awesome! He gets an A+. Ihope you don't mind if i share it with Sterling. he will love it. Good job N.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow he didnt even need my help this time! I new he had it in him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know I put the wrong kind of new, sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! You must be a very proud Mom!! (don't ya just LIVE for moments like this!) What a good kid!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh, total tears in my eyes too. What a beautiful poem.

    ReplyDelete